Saturday, June 7, 2008

Uncomfortably Justified

So, The Girl took a released standards of learning test yesterday. Even as I handed it to her, I felt like a bit of a hypocrite. Wasn't the whole over-testing thing part of why we're homeschooling?

Still, I reasoned with myself, she had not spent the last three months taking practice tests; she hadn't spent last night not sleeping due to test anxiety; and - most importantly - she knew the test was not a reflection on her as a person. Her biggest concern about the test was that if she took it seriously and did her best then we'd go for ice cream later - and if she passed, she'd get a sundae.

It was a game, and I was okay with that.

So she took the test. She took it seriously. She asked me a couple of questions on the wording of some of the problems - which I answered. She took it at her own pace, got up for drinks or the bathroom whenever she wanted, and took her time.

She got missed only one question out of 35, which translates into a score of 593 out of 600.

Which was really, really cool, and kind of left me feeling relieved and satisfied. I now had a number that I could give to people who expressed their concern over our homeschooling. (These are often the same people who are concerned about kids growing up in a single-parent family and being an only child.)

And of course that thought left me uncomfortable. Why should I need a number? Why shouldn't I just shrug and ignore concerns?

Probably I should, but for this year I have a number, and The Girl has ice cream - she got the better deal, but I'm okay with that.

No comments: