Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Year-round schooling?

It is interesting to me that I find the idea of the summer off from school to be much less appealing than it has been in the past - and I don't just mean because I am not the student anymore. When The Girl was in public school I craved the freedom from homework and worksheets just as much as she did, but this summer is different.

The Girl is looking forward to this idea of "no school" just as much as she ever has. Yet, she discusses the fact that she is going to start her Japanese studies this month, as well as sign up for community art classes, as if this weren't studying.

I think that she is still in a public school mindset, so I haven't pointed out to her that she is, in fact, opting for year round schooling. She would be outraged at the "loss" of her free time.

The thing is, she is choosing what to study. She's had some say in her studies all year, but for summer, she really gets free rein. This leads me to think that the fun of summer isn't so much the free time, as the freedom of choice - something that we get year-round with homeschooling!

No comments: